Friday, May 25, 2007

Places to be

In my last post, I asked everyone where their favorite places were.


Many agreed with me that the beach is the place to be.


Others said Europe...I too love Europe, I had an opportunity to see parts of Italy and France. I fell in love with Europe, the people, the buildings, the history...I can't wait to go back, and now I want the opportunity to meet some of my new found blogging friends from there. England will be the next Europe visit.




Others said any body of water will do...


But there is something to be said for standing at the waters edge and gazing into the horizon.


I am so small against the power of the ocean, I love knowing there is the might and the power in the midst of this crazy world.




I remember when I was around 17, a group of us hopped in a van and took a beach trip. We played Frisbee, splashed in the waves, chased each other all over. I remember being exhausted and laying out my towel. I laid down with a perfect view of the guy I had a crush on. I was warm, satisfied and could hear the waves crashing in the background.


I drifted off to sleep. I have no idea how long I slept, but I was shaken awake to get ready to leave and I woke to discover I had the worst sunburn I have ever had in my life....


Moral of the story, don't forget to wear sunscreen this weekend.




HUGS to all of you!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might just wear sunscreen on my left arm, to let the right arm's tan catch up. I tan fast, so I'm already starting to get my annual ridiculous-looking "driver's tan." :p

Have a great weekend.

skinnylittleblonde said...

:( I'll be working all week-end.
Lol, at the sunburn story. Another morale would be not to fall asleep at the beach & if you do, make sure you a with someone who can and will wake you up before you get cooked. :)

Helene said...

gosh here in FL I wear my sunscreen everyday! =] Cant afford any more wrinkles! lol

Have a great weekend!

Art said...

Nice memories. Hope you have a great weekend!

The Lone Beader® said...

You want to go to England?? I want to go back ASAP. Luv it there... :)

Enemy of the Republic said...

Well, we are hanging at the pool. Soon, the Jersey shore awaits. But you got the Pacific--way better.

Jacob said...

Hi there, Barb. I got here via Enemy's page and loved your banter in the comments. So, I come here and I see your profile pic and I see what I think is a familiar configuration of rocks in the ocean below you. And since you are resting your hand forearm on what appears to be a basalt rock barrier fence built by the C.C.C. many years ago, I am guessing that you are standing near Cape Perpetua or Port Orford or Neahkahnie near Garibaldi??? I love to do the CSI thing. I am not a creepy stalker, honest. I will try to find the aerial pics of the rocks that look just like those, but are off Cascade Head. So, am I close? Am I close? Am I? Am I?

Jacob said...

....BTW, I am from Turlock (turdlick)...

Bardouble29 said...

Anne- Ahhh, the infamous drivers tan...

SKL - I am working all weekend too!!! Bummer for us.

Kate -If I lived in FL I would wear it everyday too...Loved it there when I visited.

Art- Hope your weekend is great too!

LB- I want to go to England very much. I am mesmerized with it...lets go!

Enemy- Yep, I have the pacific, but one of these days we will hit the beach together!

Gawpo - Hi there and welcome, that is actually along the Monterey coat line...I forget exactly where. Your profile says Oregon, where in Oregon??? I grew up in Oregon.

Jay said...

Falling asleep at the beach is always risky. But, listening to the waves roll in and feeling the cool breeze makes one want to just close his eyes and drift off to dreamland.

I would love to go to Europe. I have a friend in Holland who wants me to visit someday. Actually I would love to move there. For a while at least. A few years. Don't know if I could leave the US permanently.

The Lone Beader® said...

Ok... you don't have to ask ME twice. :)

Jacob said...

Get OUT, girfren! Wow. I love the looks of that grand familiarity.

I live and move and have my being near Newport. What parts do you know best?

Lady Prism said...

I love th beach. In fact, one of my very very very very dearest dreams is to some day own a beach house...doesn't matter if it's a shack..what I want is to lie down in the sand on a moonlit night and gaze at the stars..ye'..

It's raining here though..onset of the rainy season...so..I don't think a beach trip would be a good idea for now..maybe a little swimming in the pool..yeah..why not...after all these crazy stuff I'm doing...

Must have hurt real bad huh?!..he!he! That sunburn that is...eeeks to the thought....

Welp'..you have fun out there...and tell me all about it afterwards...Thanks for always keeping me company...

:>>

SpongyBones said...

Been there done that and still have the scars from that burn. Didn't scare me off from the lake!!! I hope you had a good weekend!

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Holler when you get here, I'll stick the kettle on! (I'm on a small rock between Liverpool and Ireland).

whimsical brainpan said...

I try to avoid the sun during peak hours but when I am out in it I do use sunblock.

I hope you had a great weekend!