Friday, January 05, 2007

ODE to the weekend

I have so many things I want to blog about, but right now I feel a brain melt down... It was a LONG 4 day work week (felt like a 6 day work week). Today I started at 7:30 (no lunch, ate while I worked) and finally told my boss " I HAVE TO GO, NOW!" at 5:45. I even brought work home with me (yes, I am a glutton for punishment, that I believe gets mistaken for dedication...lol). But at least I can be curled up in jammies and slippers instead of at a desk.

So I am sitting here relaxing, catching up on blogs and enjoying a glass of wine, just letting my mind unwind from the week.

On second thought, there is something plaguing my mind.

There is a young lady that I work with that my heart goes out to, yet at the same time want to shake her to make her realize the way she acts. She is young, I believe in her very early twenties, and has two children. She considers herself "ghetto" and speaks, dresses and acts in a manner that exemplifies a "ghetto" person. She also considers herself a "freak" when it comes to how she related to the opposite sex. She is always finding herself in horrible situations, that cause her to cry and blame life for being rough. I have tried to explain that perhaps she is bringing some of these situations into her by how she acts and reacts to events in her life.

When it comes to her work ethic, MOST of the time (notice I said most) she is a very hard worker and cares about her job. Occasionally her "ghetto" and youth overtake her sensibility and she does very juvenile things...example: today she decided to get on a table and dance for the guys in the shop. I had to let her know the behavior was totally unacceptable. Of course the guys loved it and egged her on, and I was the old meanie that was keeping her from having fun. (The manager was in another store today).

My biggest concern lies in that the manager wants to make her the "Office Manager" by title due to our downsizing. She is taking the title to heart, and talking about "how things are gonna be" when she takes over. It is all I can do to stop from rolling my eyes. The manager is my boss and a personal friend, so the other night we met and talked. I expressed my concerns and asked him his reasoning behind the decision. He stated that he feels if he gives her responsibility she will rise to the occasion. He wants to give her a chance. I understand completely and have myself used that concept when I was a manager.

But in this case I have enormous red flags. I work very closely with her and see how she acts when he is gone. Without wanting to make it seem like I was being a snitch, I casually brought a few small incidents of concern. He laughed, and said she was just being silly. So rather than push, I agreed to make her a project and help to mold her into possible management material. I truly hope his thought will work out, otherwise we are all in for a turbulent ride...

13 comments:

Jay said...

It's always a roll of the dice hoping somebody will "rise to the occasion" when promoting them. I've seen it work, but not as often as it not working.

Basically though I usually consider anyone that says how things are gonna be when they take over usually aren't mature enough for the job. Mostly because those are things you keep to yourself.

But, hey, a little table dancing is always fun too. hahahaaha

Bardouble29 said...

Jay - I thought the "guy" bloggers would get a lil kick out of it. Our shop gys loved it too.

MrRyanO said...

Table dancing? That's horrible! LOL! Sorry, I can't even say that with a straight face!

She's young and trying to find herself. She'll either succeed at the new title, or crash and burn...Like Jay said, it's a roll of the dice.

Bardouble29 said...

Rockdog - I know she will either rise to or fall flat...She will fin herself. (soon I hope)

Joshua said...

wish the gals where I work would table dance more...

whimsical brainpan said...

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Wow. I wish you luck in helping this person. Maybe she will rise to the occasion. Sometimes people do that. (Hope)

Cinnamon Girl said...

Oh honey, buckle up. You are totally in for a bumpy ride. On the other hand it will make great blog material ;)

Craig D said...

I don't know how much you are going to be able to "help" this young lady. With any luck her plate will be so full from the downsizing there won't be time for any "oh-I-was-just-foolin'-qround" lap dances in the company break room. You're a good person to care and to want to help, but I don't think you'll find this to be a "My Fair Lady" experience.

Best of luck, though. As I said in a previous post these down-sizing periods can be really stressfull. At least you're going into it with both eyes open...

Em said...

Good luck on the makeover project with this young woman. Sometimes power goes to their heads. But sometimes they are just nervous and pushing a bit too hard to live up to the title. If that's the case, a little guidance could go a long way i helping her learn to be a valuable part of the office.

captain corky said...

Hopefully she will grow up a little. It seems like the boss is in a position to help guide her. he should give her positive feedback and encouragement and help curb some of her ghetto behavior.

Anonymous said...

oh geez. i know you see me rollin my eyes about this girl right now. yep, you know me too well.

DirkStar said...

P.S.

You are a five.